Montenegro - Country information
Official name of the country: Montenegro
Form of government: Parliamentary republic
Area: 13,812 km²
Official language: Montenegrin
Population of the capital: 186,000
Important economic and cultural cities: Podgorica, Cetinje, Ulcinj, Bar, Budva, Kotor, Tivat, Herceg Novi, Žabljak, Kolašin
- On the surface of only 13,812 km2 Montenegro enjoys nearly all possible types of scenery!
- The Boka Bay is the southernmost fjord in the world.
- The canyon of the river Tara is the deepest canyon in Europe
- The monastery Ostrog is one of the biggest sanctuaries in the world. It is visited by people of all religions.
- The oldest tree in Europe lives in Bar: the Old Olive Tree is over 2,000 years old. Its volume is about 10m. More than 100,000 olive trees in the municipality of Bar are more than 1,000 years old.
- The Mediterranean spreads as far as the olive tree grows.
- Skadar Lake is the largest lake in the Balkans.
- The surface of Skadar Lake varies from 400 to 525 square kilometers.
- All mountain lakes in Montenegro are glacial lakes and are condemned to gradual disappearance.
- Only large predatory fish live in Plavsko Lake – five species (huchen, black mudfish, pike, burbot and chub).
- The largest specimen of huchen in Montenegro was caught in Plavsko Lake and it weighted 41.5 kg.
- There is a phoenix-plant: gentle Ramonda serbica, a flowering plant, protected by law, which grows on the slopes of the mountain of Rumija; even if it is dry it can be revived with first rain.
- The only habitat of the black salamander (Salamadra atra) in Montenegro is on the mountain Bogićevica (Prokletije) at the altitude of 1,952 m above sea level.
- From time to time we have colorful rainfalls – yellowish or reddish. Cause: the southern wind brings air from North Africa full of desert dust.
- A young Norwegian officer brought the first skis to Montenegro in 1893.
- The first bicycle came to Montenegro at the end of the XIX century.
Top 5 tourist products
- Passive vacation at seaside – swimming
- Cultural and historical sites – sightseeing
- Active vacation – hiking, cycling, etc.
- UNESCO sites
- Panoramic roads
Top 5 tourist destinations
- Herceg Novi
3-1-12, San Li Tun Diplomatic Compound Beijing 100600
T: + 8610 6532 7610
F: + 8610 6532 7690
F: + 8610 6532 7662
Branko Perović, Ambassador
Vatroslav Belan, I counselor
Marija Martić, II secretary