Latvia - Country information
Official name of the country: Republic of Latvia
Form of government: Parliamentary republic
Area: 64,589 km2
Official language: Latvian
Capital: Riga (Rīga)
Population of the capital: 643,368
Important economic and cultural cities: Cēsis, Liepāja, Ventspils, Valmiera, Rēzekne, Daugavpils, Rīga
- The capital of Latvia, Riga is famous for some of the best Art Nouveau architecture in Europe.
- Latvia is home to the widest waterfall in Europe: Ventas Rumba, at 110 m (360 ft) wide, though only 2 m high.
- Riga is the birthplace of the Christmas tree (500 years ago).
- You can enjoy homemade fruit wines on a wine tasting tour in Kurzeme (Western Latvia).
- Latvia's Song and Dance Festival is included in the UNESCO list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. The first such festival took place in 1873.
Top 5 tourist products
- Culture tourism (Folklore, Traditions, architecture)
- SPA & Wellness and Medical treatments
- Nature and ecotourism (National parks and nature trails)
- Citybreaks (Local food, restaurants, concerts and festivals)
- Active Holidays (Cycling, adventure parks and hikes)
Top 5 tourist destinations
- Riga – old city and art nouveau
- Sigulda, Cēsis and Gauja national park
- Jūrmala Resort
- Rundāle Palace
- Liepāja City
TOP 5 souvenirs
- Riga black balsam
- Woolens and linen
- Local organic food and natural cosmetic
Top 5 events
- The Latvian song and dance festival
- Jāņi summer solstice celebration
- City festivals
- Riga Opera Festival
- Music Festival "Positivus"
Riga and Suzhou are twin cities since 1997
Daugavpils and Harbin are twin cities since 2003
Embassy of the Republic of Latvia
71 Greenland Garden,Greenland Road 1A,
Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100016, People's Republic of China
Phone: +86 10 6433 3863
Fax: +86 10 6433 3810
General consulates and consulates in China