Bulgaria - Country information
Official name of the country: REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA
Area: 111,000 km²
Official language: BULGARIAN
Population of the capital: 1,285,616 inhabitants
Important economic and cultural cities: SOFIA, PLOVDIV, VARNA, BURGAS, VELIKO TARNOVO, STARA ZAGORA, PLEVEN, BLAGOEVGRAD, RUSSE, VELINGRAD, HISSAR
- Plovdiv is Europe's oldest Inhabited City, even older than Athens.
- Bulgaria brought the world the Cyrillic alphabet - which today is used in Russia and throughout the Balkans and other Slavic nations. It was invented by two monks during the First Bulgarian Empire.
- The roses grown in Bulgaria's "Rose Valley" produce most (70-85%) of the world' rose oil - a component in most perfumes.
- Though small in area, Bulgaria ranks third in Europe in biodiversity, with a number of rare and endemic species. More than 700 brown bears, 1,000 wolves, golden jackal, wild cats, common otters, souslik and 37 species of reptiles can be found here.
- Bulgaria Has The 2nd Most Mineral Springs In Europe, just behind Iceland.
- Plovdiv will be the European Capital of Culture in 2019.
- Top 5 tourist products: Sea tourism; Balneology, SPA and Wellness tourism;_Snow and Mountain Tourism; Cultural tourism; Adventurous, Ecological and Rural tourism; Congress tourism
- Top 5 tourist destinations: Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo, Black sea resorts (Sunny beach; Golden sands); Rila Mountains, Pirin Mountains, Rhodope mountains
- Top 5 gastronomic experiences: Bulgarian yogurt; Bulgarian white brine cheese; Banitsa (many types); Kebapche; Mavrud wine
- Top 5 souvenirs: Rose oil in wooden handmade containers (muskal); Handmade icons; Handmade pots (giuveche); CD of national music; Handmade carvings
- Top 5 events: Rose festival in Kazanlak; Pipe festival in village of Gela; International Folklore Festival in Plovdiv; International Jazz Festival i.n Bansko; International Technical Fair in Plovdiv
- Huainan - Russe
- Luoyang - Plovdiv
- Ningbo - Varna
- Shenzhen - Plovdiv
- Tianjin - Plovdiv
- Zhengzhou - Shumen
- Yantai - Burgas
- Golmud - Dobrich
- Jinzhou - Pleven
- Yangzhou - Razgrad
- Shian /Xian/ - Veliko Tarnovo
- Chongqing – Sliven
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Beijing, The People's Republic of China
Address: Xiu Shui Bei Jie 4, Beijing – 10060, China
Telephone: +86 10 6532 1946; +86 10 6532 1916
Fax: +86 10 6532 4502
Out-of-hours hotlines: + 8610 6532 1916; + 8610 6532 1946
General consulates and consulates in China
Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria in Shanghai, China
Address: Unit 512-515, 5th/Floor, Building B
Far East International Plaza
317 Xianxia Road
Telephone: +86 21 62376183; +86 21 62376185
Fax: +86 21 62376189
Out-of-hours hotline: + 8613917970182