Albania - Country information
General information about the country
Official name of the country: ALBANIA
Form of government: PARLIAMENTARY REPUBLIC
Area: 28,000 km2
Official language: ALBANIAN
Population of the capital: 763,634 inhabitants
Important economic and cultural cities: DURRES, FIER, VLORE, SARANDE, GJIROKASTER, KORCE, SHKODER, LEZHE, ELBASAN, BERAT, KRUJE
- Two of the seven "purple codices" written from the sixth to the eighteenth century are preserved in the UNESCO city of Berat in Albania. The two Albanian codices are very important for the global community and the development of ancient biblical, liturgical and hagiographical literature.
- Did you know that Mother Teresa, whose given name was Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, was an ethnic Albanian? Mother Teresa's work has inspired generations throughout the world. The national airport is named after her: the Tirana International Airport "Nënë Tereza".
- Did you know that the origins of iso-polyphony, one of the world's most ancient a capella singing traditions, can be traced back to the Illyrians, the ancestors of modern Albanians? The term "iso" refers to the drone, which accompanies the iso-polyphonic singing and is related to the "ison" of Byzantine church music, where a drone group accompanies the song. This unique musical tradition was recognized by UNESCO in 2005 when it was added to the list of "Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity."
- The Albanian language is one of the oldest living languages in the world. It belongs to a stand-alone branch of the Indo-European language family and is now spoken by close to eight million people around the world. In addition to a large diaspora, over 80,000 Arbëresh speak Albanian in Southern Italy. The estimated 260,000 Arbëresh are direct descendants of Skanderbeg following a mass migration after his death in the late 15th century.
- Did you know that the first emperor of the Roman Empire, Augustus, studied in Apollonia, near the city of Fier, Albania, in 44 BC?
- TOP 5 tourist products: Butrinti archeological site (UNESCO), Historic Museum of Kruja, Medieval Museum of Iconography in Korce, The Osumi Canions, Isopoliphony songs (UNESCO)
- TOP 5 tourist destinations: Albanian Riviera, Berat (UNESCO), Gjirokaster (UNESCO), Shkoder, Tirana
- TOP 5 gastronomic experiences (meals, spirits, wine, drinks, etc.) – Tave Elbasani, Lakror, tave dheu tiranase, harapash, vera Cobo,
- TOP 5 souvenirs – wool carpet, wool bag, carved wooden artifacts, silver artifacts, carved stone artifacts
- TOP 5 events – Summer Day (March 14), Miss Globe, International Music Festival "Marie Kraja", The International Book Fair (November), Tirana's Jazz Festival (May)
- University of Tirana twinned with Shanghai University
- Municipality of Tirana twinned with Chongqing Municipality
- Municipality of Duures twinned with Ningbo and Liangping Municipalities
Embassy of the Republic of Albania
Guang Hua Lu 28
Beijing, People's Republic of China
Tel: +86 10 6532 1120
Fax: +86 10 6532 5451
General consulates and consulates in China
Tirana International Airport
Ministry of Urban Development and Tourism
Str. Abdi Toptani Nr.1, Tirana, Albania
Tel: + 355 4 22 56 123
Email address: email@example.com